TITLE: PROPERTIES ARTISAN
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT: Seasonal, Hourly
SCHEDULE: Full Time, 5/20/2024 – 8/21/2024
SALARY: $16.50 – $17.10 per hour
REPORTS TO: Properties Designers, Lead Properties Artisan, Technical Director
Broadway Sacramento is committed to the presentation of quality theatrical productions to enrich the cultural life of the greater Sacramento region, the state of California, the United States and the international community. The goals of the organization are to preserve and expand the American musical theatre as an art form by educating new audiences and nurturing aspiring artists.
Assist in facilitating the execution of all hand-held properties and set dressing for all productions.
- Properties Designers
- Lead Properties Artisan
- Scenic Designer
- Scenic Charge Artist and Scenic Artists
- Scenic Carpenters
- Technical Director
- Production Center Coordinator
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Under direction of the Properties Designers and Lead Properties Artisan, determine whether properties will be built, purchased, or pulled from stock.
- Work with Properties Designers and Lead Properties Artisan to determine specialty materials and construction methods for designs.
- Utilize the Music Circus prop stock for designs when appropriate.
- Collaborate with the Properties Designers and Lead Properties Artisan daily to create a prioritized task list.
- Be personally responsible for building essential and advanced properties as delegated by the Properties Designers.
- Supervise and allocate work among interns as necessary and appropriate to meet deadlines.
- Pack properties appropriately to ensure the proper handling, storage, and organization of properties for rehearsal and the run of the show.
- Previous theatrical properties work required.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, efficiency, multi-tasking, and ability to prioritize and self-motivate.
- Exhibited self-reliance, creative problem-solving skills and willingness to seek out all possible solutions to challenges.
- Ability to take direction and see a task out to completion.
- Ability to work both independently and as a positive team member.
- Working knowledge of power tools, painting techniques, and basic sewing.
- Possess a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to manage time effectively.
- Ability to take notes and implement necessary changes.
- Working knowledge of safety standards and implementation.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and adapt to changing priorities and timelines.
- Remain calm under stress; deescalate when appropriate.
- Demonstrates behavior showing a commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion. Perform work in a manner that is consistent with that commitment.
- Interrupt behaviors that hinder diversity and inclusion efforts.
- Frequently required to use repetitive hand motions and to reach and bend.
- Ability to stand for 8-10 hours per day.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. to the height of 3 to 4 feet.
- Ability to be fit with and wear a respirator when necessary.
- Regularly required to sit, talk, see, and hear.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
ABOUT BROADWAY SACRAMENTO
Broadway Sacramento is Northern California’s premiere producer and presenter of musical theatre, and the largest nonprofit musical theatre in California. Since the inception of Broadway At Music Circus in 1951 under an open-air, circus-style big top, Broadway Sacramento has grown to become the most successful nonprofit performing arts organization in Northern California. Between Broadway At Music Circus and Broadway On Tour, Broadway Sacramento entertains over 250,000 patrons every year.
Broadway Sacramento is committed to creating an equitable, inclusive, and accessible environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.