TITLE: WARDROBE DAY WORK/ STITCHER
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT: Seasonal, Hourly
SCHEDULE: Full Time, 6/5/2023—8/27/2023
SALARY: $15.50 – $17.00 per hour
POSTING DATE: January 2023
REPORTS TO: Wardrobe Supervisor, Costume Director
Broadway Sacramento is committed to the presentation of quality theatrical productions to enrich the cultural life of the greater Sacramento region, the state of California, the United States and the international community. The goals of the organization are to preserve and expand the American musical theatre as an art form by educating new audiences and nurturing aspiring artists.
Supervise and participate in day work with the wardrobe team and make all repairs necessary to prepare costumes for all dress rehearsals and performances.
- Wardrobe Supervisor
- Costume Director
- Wardrobe Assistants
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervise, delegate, and perform costume day work, including but not limited to washing, drying, ironing, steaming, sorting, and distributing show costumes.
- Train interns on proper techniques of costume day work as needed.
- Make repairs and alterations to costumes including garments, accessories, and shoes based on the lists compiled by the Wardrobe Supervisor
- Ensure the show in performance is the first priority with regard to washing machine and dryer availability.
- Thoroughly inspect each garment, including all seams and fastenings, for other repairs and repair them in addition to making listed repairs.
- Delegate repair work to day work team based on necessity to complete repair work and the ability of the team members.
- For complex repairs, consult with the Costume Director to find the best solution.
- Report all costuming issues and concerns to the Wardrobe Supervisor.
- Assist with the load-in and load-out of costumes for dress rehearsals and strike.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Possess machine and hand sewing skills, with an understanding of garment construction.
- Previous collegiate or professional experience as a wardrobe dresser.
- Ability to take direction and see a task out to completion.
- Proven history of reliability and a strong work ethic.
- Possess a strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to thrive in an environment that requires working under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently or as a positive team member.
- Exhibited self-reliance and willingness to seek out all possible solutions.
- Demonstrated efficiency, prioritization, and multitasking ability.
- Ability to plan ahead and anticipate potential setbacks.
- Ability to calmly and succinctly resolve conflict and crisis.
- Demonstrates behavior showing a commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion. Perform work in a manner that is consistent with that commitment.
- Interrupt behaviors that hinder diversity and inclusion efforts.
- Broadway Sacramento requires that all employees receive a COVID-19 vaccination unless a reasonable accommodation is approved.
- Ability to remain in a stationary position for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift 30-pound boxes to a height of 3-5 feet and load them into trucks.
- Frequently required to use repetitive hand motions.
- Regularly required to sit, talk, see, and hear.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
ABOUT BROADWAY SACRAMENTO
Broadway Sacramento is Northern California’s premiere producer and presenter of musical theatre, and the largest nonprofit musical theatre in California. Since the inception of Broadway At Music Circus in 1951 under an open-air, circus-style big top, Broadway Sacramento has grown to become the most successful nonprofit performing arts organization in Northern California. Between Broadway At Music Circus and Broadway On Tour, Broadway Sacramento entertains over 250,000 patrons every year.
Broadway Sacramento is committed to creating an equitable, inclusive, and accessible environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.