Title: Wardrobe Day Work/ Stitcher
Term of Employment: Hourly
Schedule: Per Season Schedule
Reports to: Wardrobe Supervisor
Consults With: Costume Shop Supervisor
Supervise and participate in day work with the wardrobe team and make all repairs necessary to prepare costumes for all dress rehearsals and performances.
- Supervise, delegate, and perform, as necessary, costume day work, including but not limited to washing, drying, ironing, steaming, sorting, and distributing show costumes.
- Train interns proper techniques of costume day work as needed.
- Make repairs and alterations to costumes including garments, accessories, and shoes based on the lists compiled by the Wardrobe Supervisor
- Ensure the show in performance is the first priority with regard to washing machine and dryer availability.
- Thoroughly inspect each garment, including all seams and fastenings, for other repairs and repair them in addition to making listed repairs,
- Delegate repair work to day work team based on necessity in order to complete repair work and the ability of the team members.
- For complex repairs, consult with the Costume Shop Supervisor to find the best solution.
- Report all costuming issues and concerns to the Wardrobe Supervisor.
- Assist with the load-in and load-out of costumes for dress rehearsals and strike.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Possess machine and hand sewing skills, with an understanding of garment construction.
- A serious interest in the theatre profession, preferably having obtained or currently pursuing an education in theatre.
- Previous collegiate or professional experience as a wardrobe dresser.
- Ability to take direction and see a task out to completion.
- Proven history of reliability and a strong work ethic.
- Possess a strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to thrive in an environment that requires working under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently or as a positive team member.
- Exhibited self-reliance and willingness to seek out all possible solutions.
- Demonstrated efficiency, prioritization, and multitasking ability.
- Ability to plan ahead and anticipate potential setbacks.
- Ability to calmly and succinctly resolve conflict and crisis.
- Strong commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion. Perform work in a manner that is consistent with that commitment. Interrupt behaviors that hinder diversity and inclusion efforts.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed
If you wish to apply for this position please carefully read and follow application instructions. All documents must be in Word or PDF format. Only complete applications will be considered. No phone calls please. Seasonal positions run from May through August.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter via the form below. Deadline to apply is March 1 although you are strongly encouraged to apply ASAP as the position will fill quickly.