TITLE: SCENIC CHARGE ARTIST
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT: Seasonal, Hourly
SCHEDULE: Full Time, 5/15/2023—8/23/2023
SALARY: $22.00 – $25.00 per hour
POSTING DATE: January 2023
REPORTS TO: Technical Director, Production Manager
Broadway Sacramento is committed to the presentation of quality theatrical productions to enrich the cultural life of the greater Sacramento region, the state of California, the United States and the international community. The goals of the organization are to preserve and expand the American musical theatre as an art form by educating new audiences and nurturing aspiring artists.
Create and oversee all applied and painted scenic finishes.
- Scenic Designer
- Technical Director
- Scenic Carpenters
- Production Center Coordinator
- Scenic Artists
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- In consultation with the Scenic Designer, interpret renderings for all scenic elements, including fly pieces, furniture and stage floor.
- Mix all paint and textures required to execute each scenic project.
- Allocate workflow to Scenic Paint Staff and Interns based on workload and skill level.
- Supervise Paint Staff and assigned Interns.
- Keep abreast of paint progress and inform the Technical Director of any potential conflicts.
- Coordinate with Technical Director and Production Center Coordinator in regard to completed scenic elements that are ready to be transported to the rehearsal hall and theatre.
- Touch up stock scenery as necessary.
- Appropriately prep scenic surfaces for durability and aesthetic, including filling holes, sanding, priming, and coating foam.
- Inventory and maintain stock of required paint and supplies.
- Match wood grains from both painted wood grain finishes and real wood finishes.
- Create and apply a variety of three-dimensional textures, such as raised wood grains.
- Authentically age and distress scenic pieces as necessary.
- Occasionally carve foam for specialty scenic items.
- Occasionally dye silk and fabric for ground cloths and fly pieces.
- Touch-up scenery that has been damaged in rehearsal or performance.
- Consult with the Technical Director, Scenic Designer, and Production Manager to determine if the scenic elements as designed can be realized with given staff levels and timelines.
- Create and maintain a scenic paint bible for each production.
- Organize, plan, and supervise the painting of the stage floor at changeover.
- Previous professional experience as a Scenic Charge Artist is required.
- Ability to give clear directions, encourage questions, and answer them with patience and clarity when working with staff.
- Ability to set a standard of excellence and inspire a sense of group responsibility among team members.
- Demonstrated experience in personnel management, time management, and workflow analysis.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and facilitating procedures and creating documentation.
- Ability to plan ahead and anticipate potential setbacks.
- Ability to calmly and succinctly resolve conflict and crisis.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, efficiency, prioritization, and multi-tasking.
- Working knowledge of safety standards and implementation of the same.
- Ability to thrive in a high-pressure environment that requires working under tight deadlines.
- Ability to work long shifts and overtime hours while maintaining a positive and collaborative attitude.
- Remain calm under stress; deescalate when appropriate. Able to regulate emotions and rise above the emotions of others. Have the interpersonal awareness to read a situation and the needs of those involved.
- Through portfolio presentation, a demonstrated utilization of color, texture and technique.
- Possess a collaborative nature and can-do attitude.
- Demonstrates behavior showing a commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion. Perform work in a manner that is consistent with that commitment.
- Interrupt behaviors that hinder diversity and inclusion efforts.
- Broadway Sacramento requires that all employees receive a COVID-19 vaccination unless a reasonable accommodation is approved.
- Frequently required to use repetitive hand motions and to reach and bend.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. to a height of 3 to 4 feet.
- Regularly required to sit, talk, see, and hear.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
ABOUT BROADWAY SACRAMENTO
Broadway Sacramento is Northern California’s premiere producer and presenter of musical theatre, and the largest nonprofit musical theatre in California. Since the inception of Broadway At Music Circus in 1951 under an open-air, circus-style big top, Broadway Sacramento has grown to become the most successful nonprofit performing arts organization in Northern California. Between Broadway At Music Circus and Broadway On Tour, Broadway Sacramento entertains over 250,000 patrons every year.
Broadway Sacramento is committed to creating an equitable, inclusive, and accessible environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.