Title: Scenic Charge Artist
Term of Employment: Per Agreement
Schedule: 6 day work week
Reports To: Technical Director
Supervises: Scenic Painters, Interns
Consults With: Scenic Designer, Scenic Carpenters, Production Center Supervisor
Overall Responsibility: Create and oversee all applied and painted scenic finishes.
- In consultation with the Scenic Designer, interpret renderings for all scenic elements, including fly pieces, furniture and stage floor.
- Mix all paint and textures required to execute each scenic project.
- Allocate workflow to Scenic Paint Staff and Interns based on workload and skill level.
- Supervise Paint Staff and assigned Interns.
- Keep abreast of paint progress and inform the Technical Director of any potential conflicts.
- Coordinate with Technical Director and Production Center Supervisor in regard to completed scenic elements that are ready to be transported to the rehearsal hall and theatre.
- Touch up stock scenery as necessary.
- Appropriately prep scenic surfaces for durability and aesthetic, including filling holes, sanding, priming and coating foam.
- Inventory and maintain stock of required paint and supplies.
- Match wood grains from both painted wood grain finishes and real wood finishes.
- Create and apply a variety of three-dimensional textures, such as raised wood grains.
- Authentically age and distress scenic pieces as necessary.
- Occasionally carve foam for specialty scenic items.
- Occasionally dye silk and fabric for ground cloths and fly pieces.
- Touch up scenery that has been damaged in rehearsal or performance.
- Consult with the Technical Director, Scenic Designer, and Production Manager to determine if the scenic elements as designed can be realized with given staff levels.
- Create and maintain a scenic paint bible for each production.
- Organize, plan, and supervise the painting of the stage floor at changeover.
- A BA in Theatre, Studio Art, or Fine Art preferred.
- Professional experience as a Scenic Charge Artist required.
- Ability to give clear directions, encourage questions, and answer them with patience and clarity when working with staff.
- Possess a talent for setting standards of excellence and inspiring a sense of group responsibility among team members.
- Demonstrated experience in personnel management, time management and work flow analysis.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and facilitating procedure and creating documentation.
- Ability to plan ahead and anticipate potential setbacks.
- Ability to calmly and succinctly resolve conflict and crisis.
- Ability to thrive in an environment that requires working under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, efficiency, prioritization, and multi-tasking.
- Working knowledge of safety standards and implementation of the same.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. to the height of 3 to 4 feet.
- Through portfolio presentation, a demonstrated utilization of color, texture and technique.
- Strong commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
If you wish to apply for this position please carefully read and follow application instructions. All documents must be in Word or PDF format. Only complete applications will be considered. No phone calls please. Seasonal positions run from May through August.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter via the form below. Deadline to apply is March 30 although you are strongly encouraged to apply ASAP as the position will fill quickly.