Title: Scenic Artist
Term of Employment: Hourly
Schedule: Per Season Schedule
Reports To: Scenic Charge Artist and Technical Director
Assist with all applied and painted scenic finishes.
- Assist in the paint application for all scenic elements, including fly pieces, furniture and stage floor.
- Assist with the mixing of all paint and textures needed to execute each assigned scenic project.
- Report the progress and potential conflicts of assigned projects to Scenic Charge Artist.
- Touch up stock scenery as advised.
- Appropriately prep scenic surfaces for durability and aesthetic, including filling holes, sanding, priming, and coating foam.
- Apply a variety of three-dimensional textures, such as raised wood grains.
- Authentically age and distress scenic pieces as advised.
- Assist in the occasional foam carving projects for specialty scenic items.
- Assist in the occasional silk and fabric dying for ground cloths and fly pieces.
- Create and sew all soft goods as designed by Scenic Designer for the scenic elements.
- Assist the Scenic Charge Artist in the creation and maintenance of a scenic paint bible for each production.
- Assist with the painting of the stage floor at change over by masking, painting, and prepping supplies and paint.
- A serious interest in the theatre profession, preferably having obtained an education in theatre, fine art or studio art.
- Previous professional experience as a Scenic Painter in a summer stock environment.
- Ability to take direction and see a task out to completion.
- Proven history of reliability and a strong work ethic.
- Possess a strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to thrive in an environment that requires working under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently or as a positive team member.
- Exhibited self-reliance and willingness to seek out all possible solutions to challenges.
- Demonstrated efficiency, prioritization, and multitasking.
- Ability to plan ahead and anticipate potential setbacks.
- Ability to calmly and succinctly resolve conflict and crisis.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. to the height of 3 to 4 feet.
- Excellent communication skills and a collaborative nature.
- Strong commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion. Perform work in a manner that is consistent with that commitment. Interrupt behaviors that hinder diversity and inclusion efforts.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
If you wish to apply for this position please carefully read and follow application instructions. All documents must be in Word or PDF format. Only complete applications will be considered. No phone calls please. Seasonal positions run from May through August.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter via the form below. Deadline to apply is March 1.