Title: Scenic Artist
Term of Employment: Seasonal, Hourly
Schedule: Full Time, 5/17/2022—8/23/2022
Salary: $15.00 per hour
Posting Date: January 2022
Application Deadline: March 1, 2022
Reports To: Scenic Charge Artist and Technical Director
Broadway Sacramento is committed to the presentation of quality theatrical productions to enrich the cultural life of the greater Sacramento region, the state of California, the United States and the international community. The goals of the organization are to preserve and expand the American musical theatre as an art form by educating new audiences and nurturing aspiring artists.
Assist with all applied and painted scenic finishes.
- Scenic Charge Artist
- Technical Director
- Scenic Designers
- Scenic Carpenters
- Production Center Supervisor
- Production Manager
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in the paint application for scenic elements, fly pieces, furniture and stage floor.
- Assist with the mixing of paint and textures needed to execute assigned scenic projects.
- Report the progress and potential conflicts of assigned projects to Scenic Charge Artist.
- Touch up stock scenery as advised.
- Appropriately prep scenic surfaces for durability and aesthetic, including filling holes, sanding, priming, and coating foam.
- Apply a variety of three-dimensional textures, such as raised wood grains.
- Authentically age and distress scenic pieces as advised.
- Assist in the occasional foam carving projects for specialty scenic items.
- Assist in the occasional silk and fabric dying for ground cloths and fly pieces.
- Create and sew all soft goods as designed by Scenic Designer for the scenic elements.
- Assist the Scenic Charge Artist in the creation and maintenance of a scenic paint bible for each production.
- Assist with the painting of the stage floor at change over by masking, painting, and prepping supplies and paint.
- Previous professional experience as a Scenic Painter in a summer stock environment.
- Ability to take direction and see a task out to completion.
- Proven history of reliability and a strong work ethic.
- Possess a strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to thrive in an environment that requires working under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently or as a positive team member.
- Exhibited self-reliance and willingness to seek out all possible solutions to challenges.
- Demonstrated efficiency, prioritization, and multitasking.
- Ability to plan ahead and anticipate potential setbacks.
- Ability to calmly and succinctly resolve conflict and crisis.
- Possess a collaborative nature and can-do attitude.
- Demonstrates behavior showing a commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion. Perform work in a manner that is consistent with that commitment.
- Interrupt behaviors that hinder diversity and inclusion efforts.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
About Broadway Sacramento
Broadway Sacramento is Northern California’s premiere producer and presenter of musical theatre, and the largest nonprofit musical theatre in California. Since the inception of Broadway At Music Circus in 1951 under an open-air, circus-style big top, Broadway Sacramento has grown to become the most successful nonprofit performing arts organization in Northern California. Between Broadway At Music Circus and Broadway On Tour, Broadway Sacramento entertains over 250,000 patrons every year.
Broadway Sacramento is committed to creating an equitable, inclusive, and accessible environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.