TITLE: PROPERTIES ARTISAN
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT: Seasonal, Hourly
SCHEDULE: Full Time, start/end dates vary by production
SALARY: $15.50 – $17.00 per hour
POSTING DATE: January 2023
REPORTS TO: Properties Designer, Technical Director
Broadway Sacramento is committed to the presentation of quality theatrical productions to enrich the cultural life of the greater Sacramento region, the state of California, the United States and the international community. The goals of the organization are to preserve and expand the American musical theatre as an art form by educating new audiences and nurturing aspiring artists.
Help facilitate the execution of all hand-held properties and set dressing for all productions.
- Properties Designer
- Scenic Designer
- Scenic Charge Artist and Scenic Artists
- Scenic Carpenters
- Technical Director
- Production Center Coordinator
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborate with Properties Designer to decide whether properties will be built, purchased, or pulled from stock.
- Supervise and allocate work among interns as necessary and appropriate to meet deadlines.
- Utilize the Music Circus prop stock for designs when appropriate.
- Work with Properties Designer to specify specialty materials and construction methods for designs.
- Advise Properties Designer whether the properties required can be built with given funding, schedule, and intern ability.
- Maintain a running supply list to be delegated and distributed to the Properties Designer(s) daily.
- Collaborate with the Properties Designer daily to create a prioritized task list.
- Be personally responsible for building essential and advanced properties as delegated by the Properties Designer.
- Pack properties appropriately to ensure the proper handling, storage, and organization of properties for rehearsal and the run of the show.
- Professional musical theatre prop work required.
- Working knowledge of power tools, painting techniques, and basic sewing.
- Ability to utilize the internet for research and purchasing.
- Working knowledge and implementation of safety standards.
- Possess creative problem-solving skills.
- Ability to take notes from the artistic team and implement necessary changes.
- Ability to thrive in an environment that requires working under tight deadlines.
- Ability to plan ahead and anticipate potential setbacks.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, efficiency, prioritization, and multi-tasking.
- Possess a collaborative nature and can-do attitude.
- Demonstrates behavior showing a commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion. Perform work in a manner that is consistent with that commitment.
- Interrupt behaviors that hinder diversity and inclusion efforts.
- Broadway Sacramento requires that all employees receive a COVID-19 vaccination unless a reasonable accommodation is approved.
- Frequently required to use repetitive hand motions and to reach and bend.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. to the height of 3 to 4 feet.
- Regularly required to sit, talk, see, and hear.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
ABOUT BROADWAY SACRAMENTO
Broadway Sacramento is Northern California’s premiere producer and presenter of musical theatre, and the largest nonprofit musical theatre in California. Since the inception of Broadway At Music Circus in 1951 under an open-air, circus-style big top, Broadway Sacramento has grown to become the most successful nonprofit performing arts organization in Northern California. Between Broadway At Music Circus and Broadway On Tour, Broadway Sacramento entertains over 250,000 patrons every year.
Broadway Sacramento is committed to creating an equitable, inclusive, and accessible environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.