Title: Properties Artisan
Term of Employment: Hourly
Schedule: Per Season Schedule
Reports to: Properties Designer, Technical Supervisor
Consults With: Scenic Designer, Scenic Charge Artist, Scenic Artists, Scenic Carpenters, Technical Director, Stage Management Teams, Production Center Supervisor
Help facilitate the execution of all hand-held properties and set dressing for all productions.
- Collaborate with Properties Designer to decide whether properties will be built, purchased, or pulled from stock.
- Supervise and allocate work among interns as necessary and appropriate to meet deadlines.
- Utilize the Music Circus prop stock for designs when appropriate.
- Work with Properties Designer to specify specialty materials and construction methods for designs.
- Advise Properties Designer whether the properties required can be built with given funding, schedule, and intern ability.
- Maintain a running supply list to be delegated and distributed to the Properties Designer(s) daily.
- Collaborate with the Properties Designer daily to create a prioritized “To-Do” list.
- Be personally responsible for building essential and advanced properties as delegated by the Properties Designer.
- Pack properties appropriately to ensure the proper handling, storage, and organization of properties for rehearsal and the run of the show.
- Professional musical theatre prop design work required.
- Working knowledge of power tools, painting techniques, and basic sewing.
- Ability to utilize the Internet for research and purchasing.
- Working knowledge and implementation of safety standards.
- Possess creative problem-solving skills.
- Ability to take a note from the artistic team and implement necessary changes.
- Ability to thrive in an environment that requires working under tight deadlines.
- Ability to plan ahead and anticipate potential setbacks.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, efficiency, prioritization, and multi-tasking.
- Ability to effectively give clear directions, encourage questions, and answer them with patience and clarity when working with properties staff.
- Excellent Communication skills and collaborative attitude.
- Strong commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion. Perform work in a manner that is consistent with that commitment. Interrupt behaviors that hinder diversity and inclusion efforts.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
If you wish to apply for this position please carefully read and follow application instructions. All documents must be in Word or PDF format. Only complete applications will be considered. No phone calls please. Seasonal positions run from May through August.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter via the form below. Deadline to apply is March 15 although you are strongly encouraged to apply ASAP as the position will fill quickly.