Title: First Hand
Term of Employment: Per Agreement
Schedule: Per Season Schedule
Reports To: Costume Shop Supervisor, Cutter/Draper(s)
Consults With: Cutter/Draper, Costume Designer, Costume Crafts Head, Head Stitcher, Costume Design Assistant, Costume Shop Supervisor
Overall Responsibility: Act as the liaison between the Cutter/Draper(s) and Stitchers for assigned production(s).
- Cut fabric according patterns and instructions developed by the Cutter/Draper.
- Appropriately mark fabric for assembly.
- Instruct and supervise Stitchers on the proper assembly of each costume.
- In costume fittings, take notes for necessary alternations of each costume piece as instructed by the Cutter/Draper.
- Prepare and distribute costume notes to the Stitchers based on priority and ability.
- Ensure costumes notes are completed in accordance to deadlines such as fittings, photo call, dress rehearsals and opening performance.
- Oversee Stitcher workflow, progress and quality.
- Stitch as necessary.
- Attend photo call and dress rehearsals.
- Maintain a record of alterations that must be restored to rental costumes upon closing.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Extensive knowledge of costume construction.
- Knowledge of theatrical costuming.
- Working knowledge of costume materials including historical references and modern abilities.
- Ability to teach new or different stitching techniques to Stitchers as needed.
- Ability to act as a team leader by effectively giving clear directions and encouraging questions with patience and clarity.
- Have a talent for setting a standard of excellence and inspiring a sense of group responsibility among team members.
- Ability to plan ahead and anticipate potential
- Ability to calmly and succinctly resolve conflict and
- Ability to thrive in an environment that requires working under tight
- Demonstrated organizational skills, efficiency, prioritization, and multi-tasking.
- Excellent communication skills and collaborative attitude.
- Strong commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
If you wish to apply for this position please carefully read and follow application instructions. All documents must be in Word or PDF format. Only complete applications will be considered. No phone calls please. Seasonal positions run from May through August.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter via the form below. Deadline to apply is March 30 although you are strongly encouraged to apply ASAP as the position will fill quickly.