Title: First Hand
Term of Employment: Hourly
Schedule: Per Season Schedule
Reports To: Costume Shop Supervisor, Cutter/Draper
Supervises: Stitchers, Interns
Consults With: Cutter/Draper, Costume Designer, Costume Crafts Head, Head Stitcher, Costume Design Assistant, Costume Shop Supervisor
Act as the liaison between the Cutter/Draper and Stitchers for assigned productions.
- Cut fabric according patterns and instructions developed by the Cutter/Draper.
- Appropriately mark fabric for assembly.
- Instruct and supervise Stitchers on the proper assembly of each costume.
- In costume fittings, take notes for necessary alternations of each costume piece as instructed by the Cutter/Draper.
- Prepare and distribute costume notes to the Stitchers based on priority and ability.
- Ensure costumes notes are completed in accordance to deadlines such as fittings, photo call, dress rehearsals and opening performance.
- Oversee Stitcher workflow, progress and quality.
- Stitch as necessary.
- Attend dress rehearsals as scheduled by the Costume Shop Supervisor.
- Maintain a record of alterations that must be restored to rental costumes upon closing.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Extensive knowledge of costume construction and theatrical costuming.
- Working knowledge of costume materials including historical references and modern abilities.
- Ability to teach new or different stitching techniques to Stitchers as needed.
- Ability to effectively lead by giving clear directions and encouraging questions with patience and clarity.
- Talent for setting a standard of excellence and inspiring a sense of group responsibility among team members.
- Remain calm under stress; deescalate when appropriate. Able to regulate emotions and rise above the emotions of others. Have the interpersonal awareness to read a situation and the needs of those involved.
- Working knowledge of safety standard and implementation.
- Ability to prioritize and self-motivate.
- Ability to plan ahead and anticipate potential setbacks.
- Ability to calmly and succinctly resolve conflict and crisis.
- Ability to set a standard of excellence and inspire a sense of group responsibility among team members.
- Ability to thrive in a high-pressure environment that requires working under tight deadlines.
- Ability to work long shifts and overtime hours while maintaining a positive and collaborative attitude.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, efficiency, prioritization, and multi-tasking.
- Excellent communication skills and collaborative attitude.
- Ability to remain in a stationery position for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift 25-pound boxes to a height of 3-5 feet and load them into trucks.
- Strong commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion. Perform work in a manner that is consistent with that commitment. Interrupt behaviors that hinder diversity and inclusion efforts.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
If you wish to apply for this position please carefully read and follow application instructions. All documents must be in Word or PDF format. Only complete applications will be considered. No phone calls please. Seasonal positions run from May through August.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter via the form below. Deadline to apply is March 15 although you are strongly encouraged to apply ASAP as the position will fill quickly.