TITLE: FIRST HAND
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT: Seasonal, Hourly
SCHEDULE: Full Time, 5/20/2023—8/23/2023
SALARY: $17.00—$18.00 per hour
POSTING DATE: January 2023
REPORTS TO: Costume Director, Cutter Draper
Broadway Sacramento is committed to the presentation of quality theatrical productions to enrich the cultural life of the greater Sacramento region, the state of California, the United States and the international community. The goals of the organization are to preserve and expand the American musical theatre as an art form by educating new audiences and nurturing aspiring artists.
Act as the liaison between the Cutter/Draper and Stitchers for assigned productions.
- Costume Designer
- Costume Crafts Head
- Head Stitcher
- Costume Design Assistant
- Costume Director
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Cut fabric according to patterns and instructions developed by the Cutter/Draper.
- Appropriately mark fabric for assembly.
- Instruct and supervise Stitchers on the proper assembly of each costume.
- In costume fittings, take notes for necessary alternations of each costume piece as instructed by the Cutter/Draper.
- Prepare and distribute costume notes to the Stitchers based on priority and ability.
- Ensure costumes notes are completed in accordance to deadlines such as fittings, photo call, dress rehearsals and opening performance.
- Oversee Stitcher workflow, progress and quality.
- Stitch as necessary.
- Attend dress rehearsals as scheduled by the Costume Shop Supervisor.
- Maintain a record of alterations that must be restored to rental costumes upon closing.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Extensive knowledge of costume construction and theatrical costuming.
- Working knowledge of costume materials, including historical references and modern abilities.
- Ability to teach new or different stitching techniques to Stitchers as needed.
- Ability to effectively lead by giving clear directions and encouraging questions with patience and clarity.
- Talent for setting a standard of excellence and inspiring a sense of group responsibility among team members.
- Remain calm under stress; de-escalate when appropriate. Able to regulate emotions and rise above the emotions of others. Have the interpersonal awareness to read a situation and the needs of those involved.
- Working knowledge of safety standards and implementation.
- Ability to prioritize and self-motivate.
- Ability to plan ahead and anticipate potential setbacks.
- Ability to calmly and succinctly resolve conflict and crisis.
- Ability to thrive in a high-pressure environment that requires working under tight deadlines.
- Ability to work long shifts and overtime hours while maintaining a positive and collaborative attitude.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, efficiency, prioritization, and multi-tasking.
- Excellent communication skills and collaborative attitude.
- Demonstrates behavior showing a commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion. Perform work in a manner that is consistent with that commitment.
- Interrupt behaviors that hinder diversity and inclusion efforts.
- Broadway Sacramento requires that all employees receive a COVID-19 vaccination unless a reasonable accommodation is approved.
- Ability to remain in a stationary position for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. to a height of 3-4 feet and load them into cars and trucks.
- Regularly required to sit, talk, see, and hear.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
ABOUT BROADWAY SACRAMENTO
Broadway Sacramento is Northern California’s premiere producer and presenter of musical theatre, and the largest nonprofit musical theatre in California. Since the inception of Broadway At Music Circus in 1951 under an open-air, circus-style big top, Broadway Sacramento has grown to become the most successful nonprofit performing arts organization in Northern California. Between Broadway At Music Circus and Broadway On Tour, Broadway Sacramento entertains over 250,000 patrons every year.
Broadway Sacramento is committed to creating an equitable, inclusive, and accessible environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.