Term of Employment: Hourly
Schedule: Per Season Schedule
Reports To: Costume Shop Supervisor
Supervises: First Hands, Stitchers
Collaborate with the Costume Designer to build and alter costumes for each assigned production.
- Develop patterns and cut fabrics for necessary costume builds.
- Instruct and supervise the First Hand and Stitchers on the proper assembly of each costume.
- Determine and mark the necessary alterations of each costume piece in collaboration with the Costume Designer during costume fittings.
- Prepare and distribute costume notes to the Stitchers based on priority and ability.
- Ensure costumes notes are completed in accordance to deadlines such as fittings, photo call, dress rehearsals and opening performance.
- Oversee Stitcher workflow, progress, and quality.
- Attend dress rehearsals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Extensive experience in costume construction and pattern development.
- Ability to translate a costume sketch into component parts.
- Working knowledge of costume materials including historical references and modern availabilities.
- Ability to teach new or different stitching techniques to Stitchers as needed.
- Ability to act as a team leader by effectively giving clear directions and encouraging questions with patience and clarity.
- Ability to plan ahead and anticipate potential setbacks.
- Ability to calmly and succinctly resolve conflict and crisis.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, efficiency, prioritization, and multi-tasking.
- Excellent communication skills and collaborative attitude.
- Strong commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Working knowledge of safety standard and implementation.
- Ability to prioritize and self-motivate.
- Ability to set a standard of excellence and inspire a sense of group responsibility among team members.
- Ability to thrive in a high-pressure environment that requires working under tight deadlines.
- Ability to work long shifts and overtime hours while maintaining a positive and collaborative attitude.
- Remain calm under stress; deescalate when appropriate. Able to regulate emotions and rise above the emotions of others. Have the interpersonal awareness to read a situation and the needs of those involved.
- Strong commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion. Perform work in a manner that is consistent with that commitment. Interrupt behaviors that hinder diversity and inclusion efforts.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
If you wish to apply for this position please carefully read and follow application instructions. All documents must be in Word or PDF format. Only complete applications will be considered. No phone calls please. Seasonal positions run from May through August.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter via the form below. Deadline to apply is March 15.