TITLE: COSTUME SHOPPER
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT: Seasonal, Hourly
SCHEDULE: Full Time, 5/20/2023—9/1/2023
SALARY: $16.00 – $17.00 per hour
POSTING DATE: January 2023
REPORTS TO: Costume Director
Broadway Sacramento is committed to the presentation of quality theatrical productions to enrich the cultural life of the greater Sacramento region, the state of California, the United States and the international community. The goals of the organization are to preserve and expand the American musical theatre as an art form by educating new audiences and nurturing aspiring artists.
Oversee and organize the purchasing needs for the Costume Designers and Costume Shop.
- Costume Director
- Costume Designers
- Costume Design Assistants
- Production Assistant
- Costume Shop Associate
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Shop Sacramento and outlying areas to procure requested costume items.
- Research and order costume needs online for discounts and specialty items.
- Cultivate and maintain vendor relationships.
- Collaborate with Junior Design Assistant to work with local cobbler to rubber and modify shoes as necessary to meet Actors’ Equity guidelines and production schedule deadlines.
- Strictly follow accounting procedures as directed by the Production Manager and Accounting Department.
- Creatively seek cost-efficient methods of meeting costuming needs.
- Shop for other production departments as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A serious interest in the theatre profession, preferably having obtained or currently pursuing an education in theatre.
- Previous collegiate or professional experience in musical theatre.
- Ability to work independently for the majority of the workday.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Familiarity with the Sacramento and Northern California region preferred.
- Proven history of reliability and a strong work ethic.
- Strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to thrive in an environment that requires working under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently or as a positive team member.
- Ability to plan ahead and anticipate potential setbacks.
- Possess a collaborative nature and can-do attitude.
- Demonstrates behavior showing a commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion. Perform work in a manner that is consistent with that commitment.
- Interrupt behaviors that hinder diversity and inclusion efforts.
- Broadway Sacramento requires that all employees receive a COVID-19 vaccination unless a reasonable accommodation is approved.
- Ability to remain in a stationary position for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. to a height of 3-4 feet and load them into cars and trucks.
- Regularly required to sit, talk, see, and hear.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
ABOUT BROADWAY SACRAMENTO
Broadway Sacramento is Northern California’s premiere producer and presenter of musical theatre, and the largest nonprofit musical theatre in California. Since the inception of Broadway At Music Circus in 1951 under an open-air, circus-style big top, Broadway Sacramento has grown to become the most successful nonprofit performing arts organization in Northern California. Between Broadway At Music Circus and Broadway On Tour, Broadway Sacramento entertains over 250,000 patrons every year.
Broadway Sacramento is committed to creating an equitable, inclusive, and accessible environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.