Title: Costume Crafts Head Artisan
Terms of Employment: Hourly
Schedule: 6 day work week
Reports to: Costume Shop Supervisor
Supervises: Costume Crafts Artisan, Costume Crafts Assistant, Interns
Consults With: Costume Designers, Costume Designer Assistants, and Production Manager
Overall Responsibility: Facilitate the preparation, construction, and implementation of the costume craft designs for all productions.
- Modify and/or build items such as hats, jewelry, armor, shoes, belts, assorted leather goods, masks, crowns, and specialty wigs in consultation with other craft artisans.
- Dye fabric, as needed.
- Measure and record dye pigments and ingredients when dying costumes.
- Dye, paint, and distress costumes when needed.
- Perform other responsibilities as designated by the Costume Shop Supervisor.
- B.A. in Theatre or Studio Arts or equivalent experience.
- Thorough knowledge of costume construction, periods, and terminology.
- Experience in all areas of costume crafts, including-but not limited to-millinery, leatherwork, jewelry, shoe construction, and repair.
- Working knowledge of costume craft materials including historical references and modern availabilities.
- Competence in hand sewing and use of sewing machine.
- Working knowledge of leather paints, solvents, and adhesives.
- Strong knowledge of fabric dyes, fabric treatments, and fabric composition.
- Working knowledge of safety standard and implementation.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and efficiency.
- Ability to prioritize and self-motivate.
- Ability to calmly and succinctly resolve conflict.
- A proven problem-solver with ability to work well under pressure in an environment that requires working under tight deadlines.
- Possess a collaborative nature and can-do attitude.
- Ability to lift up to 70lbs. to a height of 3-4 feet.
- Strong commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
If you wish to apply for this position please carefully read and follow application instructions. All documents must be in Word or PDF format. Only complete applications will be considered. No phone calls please. Seasonal positions run from May through August.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter via the form below. Deadline to apply is April 30.