Title: Costume Crafts Head Artisan
Term of Employment: Hourly
Schedule: Per Season Schedule
Reports To: Costume Shop Supervisor
Supervises: Costume Crafts Artisan, Costume Crafts Assistant, Interns
Consults With: Costume Designers, Costume Design Assistants
Facilitate the preparation, construction, and implementation of the costume craft designs for all productions.
- Modify and/or build items such as hats, jewelry, armor, shoes, belts, assorted leather goods, masks, crowns, and specialty wigs in consultation with other craft artisans.
- Dye, paint, and distress fabrics and costumes when needed.
- Measure and record dye pigments and ingredients when dying costumes.
- Instruct and supervise Costume Crafts Artisans on the proper execution of tasks.
- Prepare and distribute costume notes to the Costume Crafts Artisans based on priority and ability.
- Ensure costumes notes are completed accurately in accordance to deadlines such as fittings, dress rehearsals, and performances.
- Oversee Costume Crafts Artisan workflow, progress, and quality.
- Perform other responsibilities as designated by the Costume Shop Supervisor.
- B.A. in Theatre or Studio Arts or equivalent experience.
- Thorough knowledge of costume construction, periods, and terminology.
- Experience in all areas of costume crafts, including-but not limited to-millinery, leatherwork, jewelry, shoe construction, and repair.
- Working knowledge of costume craft materials including historical references and modern availabilities.
- Competence in hand sewing and use of sewing machine.
- Working knowledge of leather paints, solvents, and adhesives.
- Strong knowledge of fabric dyes, fabric treatments, and fabric composition.
- Working knowledge of safety standard and implementation.
- Ability to prioritize and self-motivate.
- Ability to plan ahead and anticipate potential setbacks.
- Ability to calmly and succinctly resolve conflict and crisis.
- Ability to set a standard of excellence and inspire a sense of group responsibility among team members.
- Ability to thrive in a high-pressure environment that requires working under tight deadlines.
- Ability to work long shifts and overtime hours while maintaining a positive and collaborative attitude.
- Remain calm under stress; deescalate when appropriate. Able to regulate emotions and rise above the emotions of others. Have the interpersonal awareness to read a situation and the needs of those involved. Demonstrated organizational skills, efficiency, prioritization, and multi-tasking.
- Excellent communication skills and collaborative attitude.
- Ability to remain in a stationery position for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift 25-pound boxes to a height of 3-5 feet and load them into trucks.
- Strong commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion. Perform work in a manner that is consistent with that commitment. Interrupt behaviors that hinder diversity and inclusion efforts.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
If you wish to apply for this position please carefully read and follow application instructions. All documents must be in Word or PDF format. Only complete applications will be considered. No phone calls please. Seasonal positions run from May through August.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter via the form below. Deadline to apply is March 1.