Costume Crafts Artisan
TITLE: COSTUME CRAFTS ARTISAN
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT: Seasonal, Hourly
SCHEDULE: Full/Part Time (Flexible), 5/13/2024—8/20/2024
SALARY: $16.00 – $16.55 per hour
REPORTS TO: Costume Crafts Head, Costume Director
Broadway Sacramento is committed to the presentation of quality theatrical productions to enrich the cultural life of the greater Sacramento region, the state of California, the United States and the international community. The goals of the organization are to preserve and expand the American musical theatre as an art form by educating new audiences and nurturing aspiring artists.
Under the direction of the Head of Costume Crafts, Artisans execute the construction and implementation of the costume craft designs for all productions.
- Costume Crafts Head
- Costume Director
- Assistant Costume Shop Manager
- Costume Designers
- Costume Design Assistants
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Under the direction of the Costume Crafts Head, modify and/or build items needed for productions, including but not limited to hats, jewelry, armor, shoes, belts, assorted leather goods, masks, crowns, and specialty wigs.
- Under the direction of the Costume Crafts Head dye, paint, distress and otherwise alter costumes as necessary to achieve the desired design aesthetic.
- Perform other responsibilities as designated by the Head of Costume Crafts or the Costume Director.
- Previous professional or collegiate theatrical experience preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of costume construction, periods, and terminology.
- Experience in all areas of costume crafts, including-but not limited to-millinery, leatherwork, jewelry, and shoe repair.
- Competence in hand sewing and use of sewing machine.
- Working knowledge of leather paints, solvents, and adhesives.
- Strong knowledge of fabric dyes, fabric treatments, and fabric composition.
- Working knowledge of safety standards and implementation.
- Possess a strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, efficiency, multi-tasking, and ability to prioritize and self-motivate.
- Ability to take direction and see a task out to completion.
- The ability to work both independently and as a positive team member.
- Excellent communication skills and collaborative attitude.
- Remain calm under stress; deescalate when appropriate.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and adapt to changing priorities and timelines.
- Ability to work long shifts and overtime hours while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Demonstrates behavior showing a commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion. Perform work in a manner that is consistent with that commitment.
- Interrupt behaviors that hinder diversity and inclusion efforts.
- Ability to remain in a stationery position for long periods of time.
- Frequently required to use repetitive hand motions and to reach and bend.
- Regularly required to sit, talk, see, and hear.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. to the height of 3-5 feet.
- Ability to be fitted with and wear a respirator when necessary.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
ABOUT BROADWAY SACRAMENTO
Broadway Sacramento is Northern California’s premiere producer and presenter of musical theatre, and the largest nonprofit musical theatre in California. Since the inception of Broadway At Music Circus in 1951 under an open-air, circus-style big top, Broadway Sacramento has grown to become the most successful nonprofit performing arts organization in Northern California. Between Broadway At Music Circus and Broadway On Tour, Broadway Sacramento entertains over 250,000 patrons every year.
Broadway Sacramento is committed to creating an equitable, inclusive, and accessible environment and is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer.