Costume Crafts Artisan
TITLE: COSTUME CRAFTS ARTISAN
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT: Seasonal, Hourly
SCHEDULE: Full/Part Time (Flexible), 5/20/2023—8/22/2023
SALARY: $15.50 – 16.00 per hour
POSTING DATE: January 2023
REPORTS TO: Head of Costume Crafts, Costume Director
Broadway Sacramento is committed to the presentation of quality theatrical productions to enrich the cultural life of the greater Sacramento region, the state of California, the United States and the international community. The goals of the organization are to preserve and expand the American musical theatre as an art form by educating new audiences and nurturing aspiring artists.
Under the direction of the Head of Costume Crafts, the Costume Crafts Artisans execute the preparation, construction, and implementation of the costume craft designs for all productions.
- Costume Crafts Head
- Costume Director
- Costume Designers
- Costume Design Assistants
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Modify and/or build items needed for productions, including but not limited to: hats, jewelry, armor, shoes, belts, assorted leather goods, masks, crowns, and specialty wigs in consultation with other craft artisans.
- Dye fabric, as needed.
- Measure and record dye pigments and ingredients when dying costumes.
- Dye, paint, and distressed costumes when needed.
- Perform other responsibilities as designated by the Head of Costume Crafts, Costume Director, or Production Manager.
- Thorough knowledge of costume construction, periods, and terminology.
- Experience in all areas of costume crafts, including-but not limited to-millinery, leatherwork, jewelry, and shoe repair.
- Working knowledge of costume craft materials including historical references and modern availabilities.
- Competence in hand sewing and use of sewing machine.
- Working knowledge of leather paints, solvents, and adhesives.
- Strong knowledge of fabric dyes, fabric treatments, and fabric composition.
- Working knowledge and implementation of safety standards.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, efficiency, prioritization, and multi-tasking.
- Ability to prioritize and self-motivate.
- Ability to calmly and succinctly resolve conflict.
- A proven problem-solver with ability to work well under pressure in an environment that requires working under tight deadlines.
- Possess a collaborative nature and can-do attitude.
- Demonstrates behavior showing a commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion. Perform work in a manner that is consistent with that commitment.
- Interrupt behaviors that hinder diversity and inclusion efforts.
- Broadway Sacramento requires that all employees receive a COVID-19 vaccination unless a reasonable accommodation is approved.
- Frequently required to use repetitive hand motions and to reach and bend.
- Ability to lift 30-pound boxes to a height of 3-5 feet and load them into trucks.
- Ability to be fitted with and wear a respirator when necessary.
- Ability to remain in a stationary position for long periods of time.
- Regularly required to sit, talk, see, and hear.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
ABOUT BROADWAY SACRAMENTO
Broadway Sacramento is Northern California’s premiere producer and presenter of musical theatre, and the largest nonprofit musical theatre in California. Since the inception of Broadway At Music Circus in 1951 under an open-air, circus-style big top, Broadway Sacramento has grown to become the most successful nonprofit performing arts organization in Northern California. Between Broadway At Music Circus and Broadway On Tour, Broadway Sacramento entertains over 250,000 patrons every year.
Broadway Sacramento is committed to creating an equitable, inclusive, and accessible environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.