Title: JUNIOR Design Assistant
Term of Employment: Hourly
Schedule: Per Season Schedule
Reports To: Costume Designer, Costume Shop Supervisor
Under the direction of the Costume Designer and Costume Shop Supervisor, facilitate the preparation and implementation of the costume design for assigned productions with a keen focus on the management of shoes and skins.
- Create a cast measurement chart and distribute copies to the costume team.
- Assist the costume team with racking, sizing, sorting, and organizing costumes.
- Assist the Costume Designer with pulling and purchasing garments, undergarments, accessories, and shoes.
- Prepare for shoe fittings by collaborating with the Costume Shop Supervisor and the Costume Shopper to load-in shoes and verifying supplies are fully stocked.
- Label all undergarments and shoes prior to and after costume fittings. Help to update dressing lists as needed.
- Delegate or execute notes as necessary following each fitting session.
- Coordinate with the Costume Shopper and Design Assistant to send shoes to the cobbler to be rubbered, braced, and/or modified.
- Coordinate with Costume Shop Associate and Wardrobe Team to make hats and shoes available for rehearsal as they become ready.
- Coordinate with Costume Shop Associate and Wardrobe Team to track the location of rehearsal items and shoes.
- Read daily rehearsal reports for costume notes and execute notes as appropriate.
- Attend quick-change rehearsals to ensure all necessary costume items are accessible and to answer any questions of the actors and Wardrobe Team.
- Facilitate expenditures, exchanges, and timely returns of unused items in collaboration with the Costume Shop Supervisor and Costume Shopper.
- Collaborate with the Wardrobe Team to answer questions and troubleshoot prior to all dress rehearsals.
- Continue to update and refine dressing lists through opening night.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Costume Designer and unique to the given production.
- Collaborate with Day Worker and Costume Shop Supervisor to maintain shoes and undergarments through the run of the production.
- B.A. in Theatre preferred or pursuing an education in costume design.
- Strong interest in the field of costume design and construction.
- Previous collegiate or professional experience in costume design.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to take direction and see a task out to completion.
- Proven history of reliability and strong work ethic.
- Ability to thrive in a high-pressure environment that requires working under tight deadlines.
- Ability to work long shifts and overtime hours while maintaining a positive and collaborative attitude.
- Remain calm under stress; deescalate when appropriate. Able to regulate emotions and rise above the emotions of others. Have the interpersonal awareness to read a situation and the needs of those involved.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, efficiency, prioritization, and multi-tasking.
- Excellent communication skills and collaborative attitude.
- Ability to remain in a stationery position for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift 30-pound boxes to a height of 3-5 feet and load them into trucks.
- Strong commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion. Perform work in a manner that is consistent with that commitment. Interrupt behaviors that hinder diversity and inclusion efforts.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
If you wish to apply for this position please carefully read and follow application instructions. All documents must be in Word or PDF format. Only complete applications will be considered. No phone calls please. Seasonal positions run from May through August.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter via the form below. Deadline to apply is March 15.