Job Title: Director of Development
Classification: Full-Time Exempt Senior Staff Member
Reports To: President and ceo
Application Deadline: Open until filled
The Director of Development is responsible for managing and overseeing Broadway Sacramento’s fundraising efforts including annual giving, major gifts, planned giving, corporate, government and foundation giving, and events fundraising.
Summary of essential job functions
- Create and implement development plan to meet annual goals and a sustainable revenue stream.
- Work with Board of Directors to create and implement their individual major gifts plans.
- Report development department plans and progress to Board of Directors.
- Work with CEO and Executive team to solicit and steward major gifts donors and prospects.
- Work with CFO and Accounting team to implement and follow current and best accounting practices in soliciting and reconciling all donations and grants.
- Coordinate fundraising marketing efforts with Marketing Department.
- Coordinate and oversee all annual giving activities, including direct mail, email and social media campaigns.
- Create, manage, solicit and steward a portfolio of major gifts prospects and donors.
- Coordinate a planned giving program.
- Coordinate all donor recognition programs and oversee fulfillment of benefits.
- Coordinate and solicit corporate sponsorships of events and programs.
- Research, write and submit corporate, foundation and government grants to support program activity.
- Coordinate special events including but not limited to a large Concert/Gala.
- Supervise Development Team and their activities.
- Oversee database activities and assure data integrity.
- Other duties as required.
Job specification of Director of Development job description
- Ten years progressively challenging fund development experience including five years of management experience
- Experience managing fundraising professionals including proven ability to hire, train, manage and retain staff
- Technologically proficient including experience with Tessitura, if possible, and/or development CRMs
- Fundraising experience in the performing arts preferred
- Ability to work effectively with a wide variety of individuals from varying backgrounds
- Experience researching, cultivating and stewarding individual donors
- High ethical standards, optimistic and positive attitude and sensitivity to needs of the donors
- Ability to be flexible in rapidly evolving environment
- Expertise in fundraising and donor relations strategies and best practices in major gifts
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills and superb presentation skills
- Preparing and managing budgets
- Demonstrated ability to work in a proactively diverse and inclusive organization
- Local travel required
- Evening and weekend work when necessary
- Commitment to and passion for the mission of Broadway Sacramento
- Salary range $80,000 to $120,000 DOE
Revision Date: 3/01/2023
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.