Title: Properties Designer
Term of Employment: Per Agreement
Schedule: Per Season Schedule
Reports to: Producing Artistic Director, Executive Producer
SUPERVISES: Properties Artisans
Consults with: Producing Artistic Director, Director, Choreographer, Scenic Desinger, Costume Designer, Lighting Designer, Sound Designer, Head Properties, Production Manager, Technical Director, Stage Management Team
Research, design, purchase and manufacture all hand-help properties and set dressing for assigned productions.
- Create a properties list for assigned productions. Specify whether properties will be built, purchased, or pulled from stock.
- Conduct research for all properties builds and purchases in collaboration with the Producing Artistic Director, Director, Choreographer, and Scenic Designer.
- Utilize the Broadway Sacramento properties stock for designs when appropriate.
- Specify specialty materials and construction methods for designs and execute and/or supervise builds.
- Determine if the properties required can be built and/or purchased with given funding, schedule, and staff levels.
- Consult with the Technical Director, Director, and Choreographer to determine that properties designs are appropriate in weight, size, and mobility for the production.
- Consult with Stage Management and Head Properties to ensure proper handling, storage, and organization or properties.
- Agree to and work within a stated budget and account for all expenditures.
- Cultivate and maintain vendor relationships.
- Attend production meetings, run-through, and dress rehearsals for assigned productions.
- Create and maintain a prop bible for assigned productions.
- Professional musical theatre prop design work required.
- Working knowledge of power tools, painting techniques, and basic sewing.
- Ability to utilize the internet for research and purchasing.
- Working knowledge of safety standards and the implementation of same.
- Possess creative problem-solving skills.
- Ability to take a note from the artistic team and implement necessary changes.
- Ability to thrive in an environment that requires working under tight deadlines.
- Ability to plan ahead and anticipate potential setbacks.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, efficiency, prioritization, and multi-tasking.
- Ability to set a standard of excellence and inspire a sense of group responsibility among team members.
- Ability to thrive in a high-pressure environment that requires working under tight deadlines.
- Ability to work long shifts and overtime hours while maintaining a positive and collaborative attitude.
- Remain calm under stress; deescalate when appropriate. Able to regulate emotions and rise above the emotions of others. Have the interpersonal awareness to read a situation and the needs of those involved.
- Ability to effectively give clear directions, encourage questions, and answer them with patience and clarity when working with properties staff.
- Through portfolio presentation, a demonstrated utilization of proportion, color and historical periods in a purposeful, clever and inspired fashion.
- Excellent communication skills and collaborative attitude.
- Strong commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion. Perform work in a manner that is consistent with that commitment. Interrupt behaviors that hinder diversity and inclusion efforts.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
If you wish to apply for this position please carefully read and follow application instructions. All documents must be in Word or PDF format. Only complete applications will be considered. No phone calls please. Seasonal positions run from May through August.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter via the form below. Deadline to apply is March 1 although you are strongly encouraged to apply ASAP as the position will fill quickly.