Title: Costume Designer Assistant
Term of Employment: Per Agreement
Schedule: Per Season Schedule
Reports To: Costume Designer, Costume Shop Supervisor
Overall Responsibility: Under the direction of the Costume Designer, facilitate the preparation and implementation of the costume design for assigned production(s).
- Create a cast measurement chart and distribute copies to the costume team.
- Assist the costume team with racking, sizing, sorting, and organizing costumes.
- Assist the Costume Designer with pulling and purchasing garments, undergarments, accessories, and shoes.
- Create the first draft of dressing lists prior to first fittings.
- Coordinate with the Hair, Wig, and Make-Up department to meet their costume needs.
- Prepare for fittings by loading-in costumes and verifying supplies are fully stocked.
- Update dressing lists, take notes & photos, label all undergarments, accessories, and shoes during costume fittings.
- Delegate notes as necessary following each fitting session.
- Print fitting photos and create photo boards after each day of fittings.
- Coordinate with the Costume Shopper to send shoes to the cobbler to be rubbered, braced and/or modified.
- Coordinate with Costume Shop Associate and Wardrobe Team to make hats and shoes available for rehearsal as they become ready.
- Coordinate with Costume Shop Associate and Wardrobe Team to track the location of rehearsal items as needed.
- Read daily rehearsal reports for costume notes and execute notes as appropriate.
- Attend quick-change rehearsals to ensure all necessary costume items are accessible and to answer any questions of the actors and Wardrobe Team.
- Facilitate expenditures, exchanges, and timely returns of unused items in collaboration with the Costume Shop Supervisor and Costume Shopper.
- Deliver the second draft of dressing lists to the Wardrobe Supervisor no later than the morning of the first dress rehearsal.
- Collaborate with the Wardrobe Team to answer questions and troubleshoot prior to all dress rehearsals
- Take notes for Costume Designer during the dress rehearsals. Refine and distribute appropriately.
- Attend post dress rehearsal production meeting.
- Review notes with Wardrobe Supervisor after post-dress rehearsal production meeting.
- Continue to update and refine dressing lists through opening night.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Costume Designer and unique to the given production.
- B.A. in Theatre preferred or pursuing an education in costume design.
- Strong interest in the field of costume design and construction.
- Previous collegiate or professional experience in costume design.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to take direction and see a task out to completion.
- Proven history of reliability and strong work ethic.
- Possess a strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to thrive in an environment that requires working under tight deadlines.
- Ability to plan ahead and anticipate potential setbacks.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. to a height of 3-4 feet.
- Excellent communication skills and collaborative attitude.
- Strong commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
If you wish to apply for this position please carefully read and follow application instructions. All documents must be in Word or PDF format. Only complete applications will be considered. No phone calls please. Seasonal positions run from May through August.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter via the form below. Deadline to apply is April 30.