Term of Employment: Hourly
Schedule: Per Season Schedule
Department: Hair, Wig, & Make-up
Reports to: Production Manager
Supervises: Wig Dressers, Lead Wig Dressers
Consults with: Hair, Wig, & Make-up Designer; Costume Designer; Production Assistant; Stage Management Team; Wardrobe Supervisor
Oversee all operations and employees in the Hair, Wig, & Make-up Department.
- Executes leg-work for rentals, locating items in stock, and/or purchasing.
- Collaborates with the Designer during the build process if needed for fittings, styling, building, altering or manufacturing all wigs, hair styles, and facial-hair.
- Facilitates or performs haircuts needed on specific production.
- Maintain the wig/hair stock in an organized and accessible way.
- Collaborates with Costume and Wardrobe departments to identify interdepartmental needs in preparation for quick-change rehearsal, dress rehearsal, and performance.
- Collaborates with the Hair, Wig, & Make-up designer (or specialty Make-up Designer) to create and maintain any specialty make-up for specific productions.
- Supervises and trains wig running crew for rehearsal and performances.
- Orders (or facilitates rentals of) hair and specialty make-up supplies as necessary.
- Creates a hair maintenance schedule for wig washing, re-sets, and maintenance haircuts.
- Facilitates or performs specialty hair processes as necessary. This includes but is not limited to: coloring and permanent waves.
- Performs other duties as needed.
- Previous professional experience supervising Hair, Wig, & Make-up departments.
- Demonstrated experience in theatrical stage and make-up techniques.
- Working knowledge of Hair, Wig, & Make-up materials including historical references and modern availabilities.
- Ability to give clear directions and encourage questions when working with staff.
- Possess a talent for setting standards of excellence and inspiring a sense of group responsibility among team members.
- Demonstrated experience in personnel management, time management, and work flow analysis.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and facilitating procedure and creating documentation.
- Basic computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Working knowledge of safety standard and implementation.
- Ability to prioritize and self-motivate.
- Ability to plan ahead and anticipate potential setbacks.
- Ability to calmly and succinctly resolve conflict and crisis.
- Ability to set a standard of excellence and inspire a sense of group responsibility among team members.
- Ability to thrive in a high-pressure environment that requires working under tight deadlines.
- Ability to work long shifts and overtime hours while maintaining a positive and collaborative attitude.
- Remain calm under stress; deescalate when appropriate. Able to regulate emotions and rise above the emotions of others. Have the interpersonal awareness to read a situation and the needs of those involved.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, efficiency, prioritization, and multi-tasking.
- Excellent communication skills and collaborative attitude.
- Ability to remain in a stationery position for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift 25-pound boxes to a height of 3-5 feet and load them into trucks.
Strong commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion. Perform work in a manner that is consistent with that commitment. Interrupt behaviors that hinder diversity and inclusion efforts.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
If you wish to apply for this position please carefully read and follow application instructions. All documents must be in Word or PDF format. Only complete applications will be considered. No phone calls please. Seasonal positions run from May through August.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter via the form below. Deadline to apply is March 1.